Building a Class Globe 580
My First Boat Build…….
AND SO IT BEGINS…
My boat building adventure started back in 2019, I was looking for a way to keep myself busy, especially during the winter months and for years I had been building guitars. I had put together a very nice and complete wood working shop in my basement, and I was feeling like the guitar building had run its course and I needed something a little more challenging. So it only made sense that my passion for sailing and the fact I had been working with my hands as a wiring contractor and a carpenter for most of my adult life. Plus with all the tools and a basement workshop, a boat build seem to be the only real option. And so the hunt for the right set of boat plans began. I looked high and I looked low, there was Dudley Dix and Glen L and all sorts of other options and I first thought a power boat would be an easy starting point, so I had a love for the old chris craft boats and I thought they would be easier then a sailboat so I purchased a set of plans for a barrelback racer and I was now a boat builder. I purchased several mahogany timbers and began building the frames but after a month or two I realized this boat wasn't what I really wanted and if I was going to do this I was going to build what I wanted. And what I wanted was a SAILBOAT! In my heart I knew I was a Sailor and even though I had experience with power boats and sailboats, I truly loved the work and the struggle a sailboat represented. So the boatplan hunt begins again! Eventually I came across a gentleman form across the pond but who was now living in the States by the name of George Whistock who was a marine architect and grew up in a family who owned a marina in the U.K. And George had an amazing portfolio of boatplans for boats he had designed and had a nice choice of sailboats to pick from, not to mention he was very reasonable and always willing to help out and answer questions. so I picked out a coastal cruiser that seems to be the most popuilar boat he designed. It was 20' and slept 3 and had all kinds of ammenities and it was built of all laminated frames and a cold molded hull and you had a chioce of rigs you could build for it. Well to make a long story a little shorter, I worked on that boat for nearly 3 years and was close to finishing it when again i decided it wasnt what I wanted, especially after I came across a boat called the Class Globe 580. So I pushed that boat aside and purchased plans for a Class Globe 580 in September of 2023. And I found myself once again starting a boat build. In October of 2023, I purchased some Southern Yellow Pine and I began building the frames on my 580 in my basement workshop.Here’s some pictures of my first boat build, and I can tell you that these two projects couldn’t be different in any larger form . I couldn’t have chose a more difficult first boat to build if I would’ve taken on the Titanic herself! But it was a great learning process and I always enjoy a challenge.























Comments
Post a Comment